If you’re looking for some family fun for Mother’s Day weekend, the 41st Annual 2014 Swiss Avenue Historic District Mother’s Day Home Tour has the makings of a perfect outing.
In addition to the tour of historic homes (one of which turns 100 this year), you’ll find:
– Arts and crafts fair on Swiss Avenue
– Antique, exotic and muscle car display, plus vintage wooden boards
– Food and beverages in Savage Park
– Live music in the park
– Kids’ play area
– Speaker series at the Aldredge House
– Free horse-drawn carriage rides
– Mini-coaches to all homes on the tour
– Sno-Cone Truck
– Mother’s Day Brunch on Sunday
Does it get better than that? The tour is open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, May 10; and noon-6 p.m. Sunday, May 11. The Mother’s Day brunch is 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday.
Here’s a look at the homes on the tour. Click here for tickets.
4930 Swiss Avenue
For Prairie School purists who appreciate the signature elements of this uniquely American style of architecture, 4930 Swiss does not disappoint. From its strong horizontal lines and hipped roof with broad, overhanging eaves, to its rock-solid construction and finely detailed craftsmanship, this home is a true reflection of Arts & Crafts Era design.
5408 Swiss Avenue
No other era in American history embodied opulence and grace more robustly than the Gilded Age, the period between 1870 and 1900. It was an age of elegance and sophistication that gave birth to the Beaux-Arts style of design, a vernacular exemplified by the white-on-white confection at 5408 Swiss.
5421 Swiss Avenue
Perhaps more than any other thoroughfare in Dallas, Swiss Avenue is a street built on, and for, romance. Many of the houses in our District were constructed as wedding gifts, including two of the homes on this year’s tour. One of those is 5421 Swiss, built in 1917 by renowned architect Hal B. Thompson for Jesse David Padgitt as a wedding gift to his son, J. Durell Padget and his bride, Mai Blanche.
5500 Swiss Avenue
At the very heart of Swiss Avenue, just across the street from Savage Park, stands The Aldredge House, owned by The Dallas County Medical Society Alliance. A legend among the grand homes of Dallas, it has served as the original home to the Ewing Family in the pilot episode of the ’80s-era television series “Dallas,” was portrayed as Annie Potts’ home in the ABC comedy “GCB,” and is currently featured on the new “Dallas,” airing on TBS.
5907 Swiss Avenue
Featured on the cover of DHome Magazine in 2011 as one of the 10 most beautiful houses in Dallas, this Italian Renaissance pallazo was designed in 1927 by famed architect Bertram Hill, who built several Dallas landmarks including the Adolphus Hotel and The Coca-Cola Bottling Company building. The simple, classic lines of the front façade frame a central pavilion that extends outward to welcome visitors. Prominent medallions, interlocking tracery on the Palladian windows, and banisters crowning the entry pavilion reveal Mr. Hill’s meticulous eye for detail.
6139 Bryan Parkway
At the same time that Robert Munger was transforming the face of neighborhood planning in Dallas with his development of what is now the Swiss Avenue Historic District, Frank Lloyd Wright was revolutionizing America’s tastes in residential architecture. Wright’s pioneering Prairie School style of design rebuked the overwrought ornamentation of the Victorian Era in favor of simple lines, natural materials, and quality craftsmanship. An excellent example of this vernacular is 6139 Bryan Parkway, built in 1924.
6243 La Vista
Perched at the very top of Swiss Avenue is the stately, high-style Tudor Manor House appropriately called, “The Crown Jewel Of Swiss Avenue.” Built in 1926 for Dallas paving magnate Robert Campbell Stubbs and his wife, Marie, the house is believed to have been designed by legendary Dallas architect, Otto H. Lang. Massive parapeted gables flank each side of the main house like giant bookends. The most dominant elements of the façade are its two overlapping gables. The larger and taller of the two is clad with dark half-timbering over a striking brick herringbone pattern.
6312 Bryan Parkway
At the center of a light-dappled, tree-shaded block of Bryan Parkway, sits the picturesque, classic Tudor Revival bungalow, built in 1929 and cloaked in a buttery, buff-colored brick. Typical of the Tudor style, the most prominent architectural elements of the home are its three steeply pitched, front-facing gables. The smallest of these is a gable-capped entry that extends out from the front façade to provide shelter from the elements.
For more luxury homes, see briggsfreeman.com. Click here to see the latest in real estate news. CEO Robbie Briggs independently owns and operates Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty with six offices in Dallas, Uptown, Lakewood, Ranch and Land, The Ballpark and Southlake.